Our Device Lending Program offers individuals the chance to borrow an assistive technology device to help them make an independent decision about what device will work best for them before making a financial commitment. Borrow a device to see what suits your needs or as a short term accommodation if your device is being repaired or while you are waiting for the arrival of a purchased device. We also allow professionals, educators, and others to borrow devices from our inventory for professional development, training, academic, classroom, and other needs.
- Is there a cost to borrow devices? There is no cost to borrow devices. However, we do require a credit card number in the event that the device is damaged, lost or stolen and needs to be replaced.
- What assistive technology is available and how do I borrow it? We have devices from several categories of AT, including communication devices, supports for reading and writing, low vision tools, switches, mounts, daily living devices, and others. The best way to determine if we have a device you are looking for is to call us at 401-463-0202.
- Can you recommend what technology I need? No, we cannot recommend specific equipment.
- How long is a loan period? Items are typically loaned for 2 weeks.
- My loan period is almost over but I need more time with the equipment. Can I request an extension? An extension may be granted, IF there is no one else waiting for the equipment. If a consumer is waiting for the equipment, an extension CANNOT be granted. Extensions must be granted at least two days before the actual due date. Extensions that are requested after that time period will NOT be granted.
- How long is an extension and how many times can I request one? An extension is two additional weeks after the initial loan period. Two extensions may be requested. After the second loan period has ended, the equipment must be returned.
- How do I get my device? All loans must be picked up at TechACCESS at 161 Comstock Parkway, Cranston, RI.
- Will you train me to use the device? While we may be able to provide information about simple devices, we cannot offer training on specific devices. we can provide you with resources if they are available.
- What if you don’t have the device I want? If we do not have the device you are looking for, we may refer you to another agency or to a vendor.